There are many dating apps to choose from in the market. They are so accessible that according to statistics, the number 1 Android dating app Badoo got 27 million downloads worldwide while the top iOS dating app Tinder got 11 million downloads. Those figures were as of July 2016 and do not include the other popular dating apps, so I’m sure the number of downloads has grown bigger. Each app offers convenience and simplicity on finding the right match. Features like easy to setup profile, quick access, customised experience, and the unlimited sending and receiving of messages made them desirable to be downloaded.
However, there are always pros and cons to everything, and we should be ready with the cons. Meeting a stranger and sharing personal details can pose potential risks, so considering preventive measures is a must to enjoy the good benefits of these dating apps.
Here are some tips on how to use the dating apps safely:
- Set a distance range around 10 miles on dating apps so you can choose a familiar meeting spot and to alleviate the risks in meeting the person in a place which is outside of your comfort zone.
- Avoid sharing personal information like full name, phone number and home address right away.
- Get to know someone better and determine if the person is not catfishing by checking his/her name on social media platforms.
- You can conduct additional research about the person by using free public record resources to make sure you are meeting with someone who will not get you into trouble.
- In case you are ready to meet, let your family and friends know about it. Share your location by taking advantage of GPS and make sure to stay connected while you are on a date to make sure that you can ask for help if something bad happens.
Our parents usually remind us “Don’t talk to strangers!”, and we should always remember that. Take extra precaution on meeting someone for the first time. Your goal is to find the right man/woman of your dreams, not the serial killer from your nightmares.
If you have insights or comments about the article, please leave a comment below.