If there’s one thing we love more than apps, it’s different cultures. We have a tonne of language games helping people learn languages from all over the world. In this series, we look at some of the locations that fascinated us so much that we created language games for them. They are helpful for students, teachers, and travellers. Last week, we looked at Netherlands. This week, let’s take a look at Israel.
The State of Israel is a country in the Middle East with over 5 million speakers of Hebrew. Israelis take pride on their inventions and innovations that we use today. Here are some of those:
- Given Imaging is an Israeli medical technology company which pioneered the capsule endoscopy technology. It looks like a pill with the camera lens on it, hence it’s called Pillcam. It captures images to detect abnormalities and disorders of the intestine.
- Dov Moran, an Israeli entrepreneur, invented the USB memory stick which is one of the most useful inventions of the modern world.
- The Israeli company Viber Media developed Viber which is an app available for download for all smartphones and features the capability to make free calls, instant messaging, exchange of images, video and audio media messages worldwide using WiFi.
- Israel developed a water-saving technology called Drip Irrigation System which allows water to drip slowly onto the soil or directly onto the root zone through a network of valves, pipes, tubing and emitters.
- Epilator, formerly called Epilady, is an electrical device used to remove hair mechanically which was originally manufactured at Kibbutz HaGoshrim in northern Israel.
Those are just some of the inventions from Israel. You’ll be surprised that there’s a lot more. From computer to medical technology, agriculture and everyday living, they’ve got innovations. Now it’s much more interesting to visit their country or partner with them, but you’ve got to be ready.
Overpass wants you to learn their language Hebrew in an easy and exciting way, so we came up with an app called Learn Hebrew Bubble Bath which includes 63 categories and contains over 600 Hebrew words and phrases. Each word is spoken by a native speaker so you’ll know how each word is pronounced. You’ll learn Hebrew in no time and will be ready to travel to Israel. Enjoy your trip! תהנה בטיול!
By TMKO (TMKO’s file) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC BY 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
- Drip irrigation
Jisl at the English language Wikipedia [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons
If you have insights or comments about the article, please leave a comment below.