It is essential to choose the right software to make sure you meet your business and client needs. These days, solutions that are tailored-fit and ready-made are easily available, but the decision of choosing which one to use might be confusing. So, here I’ve compiled some of the reasons why you should consider using an Off-the-shelf software.
- Since off-the-shelf software doesn’t need to be built from scratch, then the development cost is cheaper than bespoke software.
- The software just needs to be setup and can be used immediately.
- No need to spend on training costs since it’s a commonly used package and training materials or courses already exist.
- Off-the-shelf software has more functionality because it is designed to meet the needs of as many users as possible
- You can take advantage of the free or lower cost of upgrades as the software continue to release improvements.
- Support will never be an issue because the software is widely known and there will be forums and communities offering help to resolve issues.
It may be difficult to find a ready-made software that is precisely how you want it or may have functionalities that you don’t need, but the advantages seem to outnumber the disadvantages.
It is always a changing world. The solution and needs may differ from time to time, but we need to master the art of determining which suits a given situation so that the result will turn out nothing but the best.
Custom-built software, on the other hand, is perfectly created for you. It’s a lot like custom-made clothing . . . it’s designed to fit you perfectly. However, like custom-made clothing, it’s far more expensive than something you buy off the shelf. The reason most of us don’t wear custom-tailored clothing is that it is prohibitively expensive, and it’s possible to find clothing on the shelf which is nearly as good but for a fraction of the price. The same is true for software.
So which would you choose, Off-the-shelf or Tailored software?
If you have insights or comments about the article, please leave a comment below.