Have your heard about Medium? Well, I must confess that I have just started using it. Based on my research, Medium is a good place to start for beginners and a stepping stone for those who have been into writing and marketing for a long time. I compiled some helpful tips on how to be successful in using Medium. I will definitely use these tips to reach my goal of reaching out to more readers as I can.
- Learn how to use it. As a beginner, reading through the guide might take some time but you will be more comfortable in writing stories and publishing them when you know the shortcuts and how it works.
- Create an appealing profile which makes you a credible source of information and stories.
- A very good headline catches the attention of your readers. Medium doesn’t base discovery of content on catchy headlines. However, whether or not people will read your story depends on how interesting it is based on the headline.
- Choose a high-quality photo or include visual content to attract readers. Just like infographics, the featured photos in your story create images in mind that can make your story more appealing and will get more chances of recommendation.
- Take advantage of Medium’s tools and features like the tag selections, highlighting sentences, formatting features and option to submit your story to a publication. I believe those were made available to writers to help them succeed.
- Don’t forget to proof-read and get feedback. You can invite editors and collaborators to check on your content before publishing it. Personally. I would most likely recommend a story which has a very good grammar, proper punctuation and interesting topics.
- Repost articles and link back to your website. Another way of getting more traffic and marketing your own website is to post contents on Medium and convince readers to visit your website.
- Ask readers to recommend and share your stories. There is no harm in asking and the more people recommend your story, the more your story is shared in the Medium network.
- Reconnect with readers. The connection should not end when they finished reading your story and you have to let the readers know how they can stumble again into your future stories or connect with your other social media accounts.
- Put your heart into it. Anyone can be a writer as long as you know grammar, sentence structure and use all the tips you can find on the internet, but what makes a good writer different from the rest is when an article is written from hard work, passion and a good purpose.
There might be more tips out there on how to make the journey with Medium a success, but I think these tips will make a good start. I thank the writers who shared their thoughts and ideas on how to work around Medium. I know they write not just for passion and hard work, but they also have a purpose of helping out novice writers to become better.
Have you had success with Medium? Please let us know in the comments, we’d love to hear about it.
- And all the writers in the Medium network.