App development has been a significant contributor to making education fun for teachers and students, and in spreading knowledge to all kinds of people all over the world. For app developers, creating an educational app goes hand in hand with the passion for learning. However, how easy it may sound, there are strict guidelines that developers need to follow.
- Ensure that the app complies with the terms of the Google Play Developer Program Policies, the Developer Distribution Agreement, and the Education Addendum for Android or Chrome.
- The app must be designed for the K-12 market.
- It must have a content rating of “Everyone” or “Low Maturity” and must not display any offensive content.
- Make sure ads are not distracting and do not occupy a significant portion of the screen.
- In-app purchase is currently not supported, and for paid apps, there should be an offer for free trials to teachers before purchase.
- The app should be aligned with the Common Core Standards and include features that are useful for lessons throughout the school year.
- The app should promote and enhance Creativity, Critical Thinking, Collaboration and Communication.
- The app should offer high educational value and should perform well on different devices.
Those are just some of the guidelines, but you can visit Google for Education for more information. The complete guidelines should be followed because your app will be evaluated by a third-party educator network to make sure that the app is aligned with core standards and meets the goal of providing the highest educational app experience.
I hope this article guides you to building your educational app.
Remember how many hungry minds you can feed with an educational app.
Are you up for the challenge?
If you have insights or comments about the article, please leave a comment below.